Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Devonwood part 2

Devonwood Conservation Area in Windsor was hard-hit by the Emerald Ash borer.  The conservation authority cut down the dead ash trees to prevent them from falling on people.  The cut wood remains, hopefully providing habitat for some insects and small creatures.  I have never been to Devonwood in the spring, so I'm not sure what wildflowers are present there, but perhaps they will benefit from the increased sunlight.

Signs of spring were everywhere on this walk.  This long, thin bud is that of a nannyberry shrub (Vibernum lentago).  I planted one of these in my garden last year - we'll see how it does.  I'm hoping the fruits attract some birds, although humans can eat them too!  The single tree I have in my yard isn't likely to yield enough berries to make jam...
Nannyberry

These are the male catkins of a hazel (Corylus species).  This shrub produces edible hazelnuts.
Hazel

Butterflies were active in the warm subshine.  I saw 1 Mourning cloak and 2 Eastern Comma.  The 2 Eastern comma were flying around together, and both species seemed to be fighting for the best place to sun themselves on this fallen log. 

Mourning Cloak

Eastern Comma
Both of these lovelies would have spent the winter in the area as adult butterflies.  They might have found shelter in a tree cavity or behind some loose bark.  The Mourning Cloak is looking a bit worn - but I think it's amazing that they can survive the winter.

Finally, here is a very bad picture of what I'm fairly certain is a sharp shinned hawk. I counted 2 of them flying around the woods.  Sharpies and Cooper's hawks always amaze me with the way they can zip through a dense forest.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Didn't expect to see any type of bird there, it looks a tad like a swamp. I like it, I pray that the EAB didn't take down all of the Ash Trees in that area. Do you have any more snapshots of the sharp chinned hawk?

    -Carlos Hernandez
    Tree Trimmer Queens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlos,
    no, unfortunately, I just had our small camera with me and I didn't get any more pics of the hawk. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete