Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Couple of Caterpillars

We had my family over for a lovely barbeque last night, and located a few new visitors during the stroll through our garden.

I had to look this one up in my little caterpillar book. This appears to be an American Lady - difficult to photograph.  It was happily chewing away in my planter, eating some plant that overwintered in the pot.
American Lady


Monarch caterpillars have arrived, and are dutifully munching on my common milkweed.  Many gardeners wouldn't understand why I would allow milkweed to grow, but it hasn't been too bothersome... yet!  I like the little red bug next to the caterpillar - no idea what he is though!
Monarch, making good progress on the milkweed


We have had a baby American Robin in the yard, learning to fly under close watch of its parents.  Look at this nest location on my neighbours' house!
With the lovely weather we've been having, I've been sitting out on our deck in the evenings.  Baby robin made it up onto the deck and sat right next to my chair. A parent was out in the garden, chirping. The parent had a worm and seemed to be bribing baby to fly off the deck! Baby robin rather clumsily flew off and joined the parent under my oak tree.


A few new plants are blooming in the garden this week. This is Elderberry. I planted it as a small shrub last year and it has really taken off!  Birds (and humans) enjoy the berries.
Elderberry Sambucus canadensis


Gray dogwood is growing well in the other corner of the yard.  It also produces berries that songbirds are supposed to like.  The Native Plants and Trees website tells me that it is also the host plant for the larvae of the Spring Azure butterfly, though I haven't seen any of those around.
Gray Dogwood Cornus racemosa


The Carolina or Pasture rose also seems to be doing well.  It is a native species that should produce rose hips that creatures enjoy eating later in the year.
Rosa carolina


Finally, my Tall Coreopsis is living up to its name - already the height of my fence! Should be a great summer :)


2 comments:

  1. Silvatica, great posting. Cool caterpillars! Nice flag on the fence as well. -DM

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Dwayne! Flag came with the house - but we love it. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete